How to Study In Canada Without IELTS? The IELTS or International English Language Testing System is an international exam that uses four different exam modules, namely reading, writing, listening, and speaking to assess a candidate’s language ability. IELTS scores are a necessary part of the admission requirements for popular study destinations abroad, such as the USA, UK, Australia, etc.
Canada, being an English-speaking country, also requires IELTS scores. However, there are certain provisions that allow future students to obtain admission to Canadian higher education institutes without having to take the IELTS exam.
Some of the reasons why students would consider not taking the IELTS exam are:
- The price of a registration for the IELTS exam is INR 13,250, which can be daunting for some candidates.
- The structure of the IELTS exam involves writing short and long essays, which makes it difficult for students who do not trust their writing skills.
- It may take more than one day for IELTS to complete since the reading section directed by an instructor is separated from the other parts of the exam.
- The IELTS conversation section exam is done in person, which can intimidate some candidates who may be nervous answering questions in person.
As such, many students do not want to take the IELTS exam because they think this would undermine their chances of being admitted to a Canadian university. The following article seeks to provide students with the information they need to study in Canada without IELTS scores.
Study in Canada without IELTS
There are certain exceptions to the rule when it comes to the IELTS admission requirements. The following list contains all the exemptions and options available for students who do not wish to take the IELTS exam:
- Other English proficiency tests such as TOEFL and PTE
- Proof of study in an English school for 4 years.
- Proof that the official language of your country is English
- Attend a Canadian English school for a semester or a year.
If you meet one or more of the above criteria, you will be eligible to study in Canada without IELTS, provided the chosen Canadian university does.
In addition to the IELTS exam, many Canadian institutes of higher education also accept grades from any of the following English proficiency tests:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a foreign language)
- Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL)
- Pearson English Test (PTE)
- CanTEST (Canadian English test for academics and interns)
Exemptions are determined by each school individually, so please review the requirements on the official websites of the institute before applying.
Canadian universities without IELTS requirements
Universities in Canada have different admission requirements and there is no single admission standard that everyone follows. The following is a list of some of the universities that allow you to enroll in a course without requiring IELTS scores:
IELTS certification credentials are not required for Winnipeg University. However, proof of English language proficiency is a mandatory requirement. They offer their own English or ELP program, in which you can participate before enrolling or starting your course.
You can find all the details of the exemptions and requirements of the language program in the official Winnipeg University manual. This will allow you to skip the IELTS requirements during the application process.
#2. Brock University
IELTS will help you obtain admission to this institute, but it is not an obligation. Brock University accepts TOEFL scores (88 iBT with a minimum of 21 in conversation and writing 237 CBT (TSE 4.5) 580 PBT (TWE 4.5) and also offers the intensive English program Brock, specifically designed to help international students increase their language skills Competence in If you have completed an International bachelor degree or equivalent with English as a means of instruction, you can apply for admission to any of the UG and PG courses they offer.
The University of Saskatchewan is home to a growing number of international students. They accept the TOEFL (general score of 86 with a minimum score of 19 in each area) as an alternative to the IELTS exam. They also allow candidates to take the CanTEST exam, which is the Canadian English exam for academics and interns and, if they wish, they can also participate in the university’s English training program.
CanTEST is similar to IELTS in that it evaluates the four sub-skills (listening, reading, writing and speaking), not a computerized test, but a face-to-face speech test. In this sense, it is very different from TOEFL or CELPIP. However, remarkably different from IELTS is that the listening section is longer while the writing section is shorter.
Memorial University has a reputation for offering engineering, business, and medical courses, making it an attractive destination for international students. The university offers students alternatives to IELTS scores such as:
- TOEFL scores: a minimum score of 90 is required, with at least 20 in each reading and listening and not less than 25 in speaking and writing in the TOEFL.
- CanTEST scores: minimum band scores of 4.5 are required in the subtests of listening comprehension and reading comprehension and a writing score of 4 in CanTEST.
- Canadian academic English (CAEL) scores: a minimum overall score of 70 is required, with at least 60 per band and not less than 70 in CAEL Writing and Conversation.
The university will also grant an exemption if you can show that you are fluent in English by showing your grades in the last 4 years of your academic career. However, this is rare and students should verify the exemptions carefully by contacting the university directly.
#5. Cambrian College
This institute focuses on research and takes pride in providing excellent postgraduate work opportunities for students. According to the information on its website, international students are evaluated in their English language proficiency, which will include reading, writing, and oral expression skills upon arrival at the university.
The following is a list of some other universities that have unique requirements for international students that do not involve taking the IELTS exam:
NOTE: Visit the relevant university websites to ensure you meet all the English language requirements and all other conditions required to enroll in the chosen institute.