Studying in Italy certainly has many charms to seduce tourists and international students: a diverse landscape; a great cultural and historical legacy; historic and iconic sites that include the Colosseum in Rome and the Leaning Tower of Pisa; incomparable kitchen; an impressive history of inventions and discoveries … and, of course, universities in Italy include some of the oldest and most prestigious in the world.
In addition to the monumental legacy of Roman civilization, Italy has a long history of leadership and innovation. Some famous explorers and inventors of Italian include Marco polo and Christopher Columbus, Leonardo da Vinci who gave the theory about the world is not flat, Enrico Fermi first physicist in the world who make the first nuclear reactor, Alessandro Volta, and last but not the least Galileo Galilei who discovered Jupiter has four moons and invented the first telescope that demonstrates earth revolves around the sun.
This is just for starters: the list of famous Italian thinkers and inventors continues, from glasses and espresso machines to cars and colognes. The origin of the word “university” is also attributed to Italy, and it is believed that the University of Bologna is one of the oldest in the world.
Then there are the famous Italian fashion houses and, of course, this fabulous food …
Best Universities in Italy For International Students
There are about 90 universities in Italy, most of which are funded with public funds. There are also several specialized postgraduate centers, polytechnics, and other academies that are part of the higher education sector.
A total of 30 universities in Italy are included in the QS World University Rankings®, of which 12 are among the top 500 in the world. The first five are:
#1. Politecnico di Milano
Politecnico di Milano, the Italian university best ranked in the 156th set of the world, is particularly well ranked for its art and engineering courses, with positions in the top 20 of the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022 for art and design (5), civil and structural engineering (7), mechanical engineering (7) and architecture (11).
Notable students of the Politecnico di Milano include the famous Italian chemist Giulio Natta, who received the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1963 for his work in high polymers.
#2. Normale Superiore di Pisa School
Not far away is the Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa, 167th, created in 1810 by a Napoleonic decree. It is a small university with only about 500 students enrolled. It is among the 300 best universities in the world for agriculture and receives the highest score among all Italian universities for its research appointments (18th in the world).
#3. Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna Pisa
Also based in Pisa, Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna Pisa is ranked 175th in the world this year. Founded in 1987 from existing institutions, the university is mainly active in applied sciences and is part of the University System of Pisa, together with the Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa and the Università di Pisa.
Other Top Best Universities in Italy For International Students include:
- Università di Bologna
- Sapienza – Università di Roma
- Università di Padova
- Università Degli Studi di Milano
- Politecnico di Torino
- Università di Pisa
- Università Degli Studi di Trento
- Università Degli Studi di Napoli Federico II
- Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore
- Università Degli Studi di Firenze (UNIFI)
- Universitá Degli Studi di Roma
How To Apply for Universities In Italy
University application procedures in Italy vary depending on whether you are a student from the EU or another country and applying for undergraduate (called “first cycle”) or postgraduate (second and third cycle) levels.
The official Study in Italy website has all the information you need to apply for universities in Italy but read on to get an overview of the key steps.
In general, the first step is to contact the chosen university to verify the application requirements for your degree program.
Once your eligibility is confirmed, you must send a pre-application form to the Italian embassy or consulate in your home country, along with the relevant documentation (see below). You will have to translate your documents into Italian by an approved translator.
Documents Required For Study In Italy
- Completed application form to receive an offer letter and academic suitability
- Relevant pre-registration form;
- Copy of your qualification to drop out of school if you are a graduate candidate, or copy of your graduation certificate if you are a graduate candidate;
- Exam transcript, including the name of each approved exam and the curriculum of each course taken;
- Two passport-sized photographs, one of which you must sign;
- Any other documentation that can support your Italy admission application(translated into Italian);
- You may also have to submit proof of proficiency in Italian by presenting the results of an Italian exam.
How To Apply for a Student visa to study in Italy
You will only receive a visa to study in Italy if you can show that:
- Have you arranged your accommodation in Italy;
- Have sufficient funds to cover all the costs you may incur while studying in Italy
- Having sufficient funds to be able to travel back to your home country at the end of your studies
- They are entitled to medical care in Italy, either through private medical insurance or under a contract between Italy and their country of origin;
- You may also need to show proof of full payment for your degree program.
Required documents to study abroad read this article.
Most of the time, the Italian visa is free; however, some applicants may need to pay a visa processing fee. You must also send all the required documents, which demonstrate the requirements described above, as well as:
- Completed visa application form;
- Proof of having paid the visa application fee (if applicable);
- Passport valid for at least three months after the end of the course;
- Two recent passport-sized photographs, one of which you must sign.
Tuition fees In Italy University For International Students
The tuition fees in Italian universities differ according to the institution and the course since the institutions set their own rates. According to government guidelines, the average rates are between € 900 and € 4,000 (~ $ 1,000-4,500) per year at public universities in Italy, while private ones will be more expensive.
Some specialized courses may also charge higher fees, while Ph.D. students receiving a scholarship from the university of their choice do not have to pay fees.
Living costs In Itlay
In terms of cost of living, you will need approximately 12,000 euros (~ $ 13,500) per year to cover accommodation, food, transportation, entertainment, and other expenses, with higher expenses in the north of the country.
When making a budget, remember your lifestyle and spending habits, as well as where you will be located: the main cities and tourist areas will be more expensive than smaller cities, especially in northern Italy.
Italy Scholarship & Funding For International Student
Italian Government Scholarship For International Students: The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation (MAECI) offers grants to non-Italian foreign citizens and Italian foreign residents (IRE) for the 2019-2020 academic year to promote cultural cooperation, International science, and technology, promote language and culture Italian and support the economic system of Italy in the world.
Scholarships, training, and/or research programs are offered at Italian institutes of higher education that are publicly and legally recognized.
Below is the list of Italian scholarships for international students to study in Italy.
- EDISU Piemonte Scholarships
- Bologna University Scholarship grants for International Students
- Pavia University scholarship In Italy for developing countries
- Bocconi University Scholarship and International Student Awards
- Politecnico di Torino University International Scholarships in Italy
- Università Cattolica University Scholarships Grants for international student
Please Subscribe to Our Telegram Channel To Get The Latest Scholarship Updates.